Boppin' Along

Forum for earth sensitives, world events, disasters, dreams, prophecies, visions, predictions.. everything and anything welcome here!

The strangest thing happened today...

LaLuna

The strangest thing happened today...

Post  LaLuna on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 5:17 am

I was sitting in my easy chair in the living room, kind of dozing off and half dreaming, when I heard a loud crash followed by the sound of breaking glass. Darn near flew out of the chair, and started looking for the source. After looking all over the house, I discovered that a small glass-topped table in my bedroom had apparently spontaneously shattered and fallen apart. There was glass all over the floor, and the only thing left on the table was a small kachina that was sitting in the center of the table.

Other than the kachina, there were only a few small rocks and crystals, and a couple of other lightweight items on the table. Nothing particularly heavy. The glass was a quarter-inch thick, and looks green when you view it from the edge, like the heavy plate glass you see in department store display cases. I have no idea what caused it to shatter. Everything that was on the table has been there for at least a year.

Anybody else ever had anything like this happen?

Carole scratch
    LaLuna

Found some answers...

Post  LaLuna on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 4:38 am

If any of you have tempered glass furniture, this is good to know. Our dining room table has a glass top, and after reading this, I'm tempted to get rid of it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

Apparently tempered glass sometimes picks up small (microscopic?) inclusions of nickel sulphide in the manufacturing process. These crystals can expand over time, and eventually they will cause the glass to literally shatter. It's a concern not just with glass furniture, but plate glass windows as well.

Here's a quote from an article a friend sent me:

"The Achille Heel of a Wonderful Material: Toughened Glass
    In recent years there have been a number of sensational reports in the media about “glass cancer” and “spontaneous glass fracture”, with stories relating to “glass raining down from highrise buildings”.
    These stories refer to incidents where toughened glass windows shatter without warning. Although it is only recently that this so-called "spontaneous" failure of toughened glass has come to public attention, it has been known about since 1960. These failures are due to the presence of nickel sulphide inclusions. In fact, nickel sulphide inclusions in glass are quite rare. In a typical glass batch there will be one 5 µg inclusion per tonne of glass (an average concentration of 5 parts in 1012).
    Though rare, the nickel sulphide inclusions are very troublesome and potentially dangerous when present in toughened glass. The reason for all the trouble is a delayed phase transformation in nickel sulphide. Nickel sulphide crystals have a high temperature and a low temperature form. The dense crystal form at high temperature swells on cooling to make a less dense crystal form at low temperatures.
    In ordinary annealed glass nickel sulphide inclusions do not cause problems because the transformation occurs as the glass is cooled slowly during manufacture. However, the transformation is sluggish and when glass is rapidly cooled as part of the toughening process, the nickel sulphide remains trapped in its high temperature form until some years later when its transformation breaks the glass"

Just thought this was good information to know, especially if any of you have or might be considering buying any glass-topped furniture.

Carole flower

Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 12:53 am