Boppin' Along

Forum for earth sensitives, world events, disasters, dreams, prophecies, visions, predictions.. everything and anything welcome here!

Things Are Moving In Hollister

Don in Hollister

Things Are Moving In Hollister

Post  Don in Hollister on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 1:23 pm

Hi All. Sure wish I knew what is going on in Hollister. The Calaveras fault is either rising on the west side of the fault, or is dropping on the east side of the fault where it crosses under 4th Street. This started around a 18 months ago.

There have been a couple of quakes in Hollister, but nothing you would want to write home about. They shook hard enough so that you knew it wasn't a truck driving by. On 09/06/2009 we had a 3.9M quake that occurred about 5 blocks east of where I live. It didn't surprise me any as I was expecting a quake. This was based on the creep seen at the crustal deformation sites in San Juan Bautista. What did surprise me was where it occurred.

Anyway I got a free breakfast at the local ptomaine cafe. I told the waitress we could have a quake in the next couple of days. She told the cook who made sure he didn't have anything sitting above the hot grill that could catch fire if something fell on it. They also made sure all of dishes, cups and what have you had the protective barriers up so they wouldn't fall off the shelf’s and get broken.

There are plenty of indications all over the area that tell us we live if “quake country.” One good indication is the DeRose winery south of Hollister. It is being torn into by the San Andreas fault. Also some houses are being warped all out of shape.

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif?t=1305835274

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

This is the scarp caused by movement of the San Andreas fault. I'm on the west side of the fault looking east. The other half of the hill that was moved is now under the Pacific Ocean north of San Francisco.

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif?t=1269421731

This is a rock formation in the Pinnacles which is a half of a volcano. The other half is near the town Lancaster in southern California. It took about 23 million years to get here. As kids we would go down there to see if we could find Tiburcio Vasquez hidden loot. He is my great, great cousin by marriage. I now tell everyone bandits don't steal money to bury it, they steal it to spend it on wine, women and song.

There is no known evidence of Native American habitation in any of the caves, though extensive archeological work is yet to be done, and local Native (Mutsun and Chalone) stories have largely died with their tellers. Non-Indian legends that have survived refer to the use of the caves as a hideout by the notorious central California bandito Tiburcio Vasquez, whose brutal contribution to local history ended with his hanging in San Jose, California, in 1875. Stories of hidden treasure and robber's roosts still cycle through campfire stories and local lore, but the location of Tiburcio's hides seem speculative. I know one thing for sure. He didn't like gringos. Take Care...Don
    beejean

Re: Things Are Moving In Hollister

Post  beejean on Fri 01 Jul 2011, 12:27 am

Don in Hollister wrote:Hi All. Sure wish I knew what is going on in Hollister. The Calaveras fault is either rising on the west side of the fault, or is dropping on the east side of the fault where it crosses under 4th Street. This started around a 18 months ago.

This is the scarp caused by movement of the San Andreas fault. ...

This is a rock formation in the Pinnacles which is a half of a volcano. The other half is near the town Lancaster in southern California. It took about 23 million years to get here. As kids we would go down there to see if we could find Tiburcio Vasquez hidden loot. He is my great, great cousin by marriage. I know one thing for sure. He didn't like gringos. Take Care...Don
    Hi Don,

lol! Uuuh -Oh!

Senor Tiburcio Vasquez, renowned for hiding the loot should have mercy on a son-in-law in this generation at the very least and give your wife a hint as to where to aim her metal detector !

Since you lived through the 3.9 that hit, I think you're probably more prepared than even the Hollister Fire and Rescue to haul your packed up go-bag into the vehicle and make your way out of town. This is a rocky weekend coming up with a lot of crustal pulls going on. Even the seismologists like you are as jumpy as the ground squirrel facing the bobcat. Just please pick a good destination for your travels and stay safe.

The news has been full of the crack in cleveland, the minitsunami in Cornwall after the underwater landslide, the landslide on Mt Ranier, the eruptions, the hole in the beachfront in Queensland, and, most pertinent for you, the strain on the San Andreas which they claim has been heightened by the dam. For all you know, the Wyoming Sierra Madre might be the best place to go and tour around before you return to find how are things in Hollister.
    Always enjoy reading your amazing posts ! good luck cheers
    beejean

are those newspapers satis-"factual" NOT

Post  beejean on Fri 01 Jul 2011, 12:39 am

beejean wrote:

the strain on the San Andreas which they claim has been heightened by the dam.

Ha ! tongue Just noticed your post on the Science board about the water diversion article that's being played up by the media as another piece of over-wrought unfactual speculation. As for me, I do set some store by how I feel about things, and I think the Salton Sea will jounce harder than Hollister. Just my guess. Enjoy the 4th!

Don in Hollister

Post  Don in Hollister on Fri 01 Jul 2011, 8:03 am

Hi Beejean. I don't think I'm going to loose any sleep over the possibility of large quake occurring in Hollister. This is probably the last place a major quake could occur. About the strongest quake we could get here would be around a 6.0M. So far the strongest one we had was a 5.6M. Very little damage resulted from that quake. Most of the damage was to peoples nerves. In the city of Hollister the Calaveras Fault bends toward the San Andreas. Here, the Calaveras fault creeps at a slow, steady pace, posing little danger. Much of the Calaveras fault creeps at an average rate of 5 to 6 mm/yr. On average, Hollister has some 20,000 earthquakes a year, most of which are too small to be felt by residents. It is rare for an area undergoing creep to experience an earthquake with a magnitude greater than 6.0 because stress is continually being relieved and, therefore, does not accumulate. Fault-creep movement generally is non-threatening, resulting only in gradual offset of roads, fences, sidewalks, pipelines, and other structures that cross the fault. However, the persistence of fault creep does pose a costly nuisance in terms of maintenance and repair. We did get quite a bit of damage from the 1989 Loma Prieta quake which centered about 27 miles northwest of us. No one was killed, but a couple of people did suffer heart attacks.

There were a number of buildings and homes destroyed, but the people living in them did as they were suppose to do. They duck, covered and held until the quake was over. People in stores stayed put until the quake stopped and then got out. One family even moved the table they dove under to the new house. It is a large oak table. It took 4 people to lift it and move it. They were going to redo the top that had suffered some damage in the form of dents and gouges, but they decided to leave it as is as a reminder that it did keep them safe from injury or death. The house on the other hand was a total lose. It wasn't bolted to the foundation. The houses on either side of them had very little damage. They were bolted to the foundations.

I think I now know what is going on at 4th Street. I looked at the other streets the fault crosses under and the uplifting isn't being seen there. Up until a couple of years ago 4th Street was the truck route. We had all kinds of heavy trucks using the street to get from the coast to San Joaquin Valley. Since the bypass was built the trucks are now using that. Because of that all the load that was placed on the soil is now starting to relax and it is now starting to rise. It may be the difference between the soils on each side of the fault that is allowing one side to raise more then the other. I have no way of knowing that as I don't have the means to measure it.

Creep has been occurring in the area since 1929 at the rate of about 7mm per year at 7th Street and about 10mm per year at Wright Road a couple of miles north of 7 Street. No one really knows why the creep started at an accelerated rate. Sometimes it creeps a little more and at other times a little less. Every now and then we get a felt event just to keep us honest. Take Care...Don

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 6:28 am