Boppin' Along

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Boppin' Along

Forum for earth sensitives, world events, disasters, dreams, prophecies, visions, predictions.. everything and anything welcome here!

2 posters

PNW Mudslide Ranier

beejean
    beejean

PNW Mudslide Ranier  Empty PNW Mudslide Ranier

Post  beejean Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:55 am

PNW Mudslide near Mt Ranier is a known regional threat.

On March 1, 2012 a mudslide in Everett Washington caused the Sound Transit and Amtrak passenger trains to suspend services and start using a bus.

http://tdn.com/news/state-and-regional/washington/everett-mudslide-hits-railroad-tracks/article_5ac63267-1556-5e6c-ab0b-e3f90dc7dd7d.html
    And, in Late Feb 2012, there's this:
    STANWOOD, Wash. – A mudslide destroyed a home in Stanwood and damaged another one on Wednesday. No one was hurt.

Firefighters had their fingers crossed as they searched the wreckage of two homes at the base of the hillside that was still threatening to come down. A hundred feet of it already had, taking out one home, which was vacant at the time, and severely damaging another.

http://www.king5.com/news/Search-and-rescue-called-in-after-mudslide-destroys-Stanwood-home-140051243.html

Mudslides and sinkholes are happening more often. Where does the land in your neighborhood look ready to settle? I'm on a riverbank but I notice that it's on a downslope and I just have a few trees. Those homes being damaged are in areas where the trees are being pushed over by the mud as if they were weightless ! Stay Safe !
    beejean
    beejean

PNW Mudslide Ranier  Empty mudslides the least of it

Post  beejean Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:32 pm

mudslides the---least of "it"

Hello,
    well March 19 2012 saw a report from California of 40 miles of coast closing due to landslide threats.

More rain was expected over the weekend, but National Weather Service meteorologist Austin Cross said the new storm would not be as heavy as Thursday's storm.

That storm caused a mud and rock slide that isolated nearly 40 miles of Pacific Coast Highway through Big Sur, shutdown Interstate 80 in the Sierra Nevada and knocked out power to tens of thousands of people.

Crews worked on clearing several tons of mud and rock that fell on Highway 1 south of the community of Big Sur until dusk Friday. Crews were scheduled to return to work Saturday, though officials could not estimate when the road would reopen,

All lanes of Interstate 80 — the main highway between Northern California and Nevada — reopened to passenger vehicles with chains on Friday. The reprieve came after a full day with traffic halted in one or both directions for white-out conditions and snow slides. Truck traffic remained halted from Applegate to the Nevada state line.

As of Friday morning, Herman said, 704 inches of snow had fallen in the Sierra high country this season — almost 59 feet. The highest snowfall ever — according to Caltrans records — was 65 feet in the 1950-51 snow season, she said.

Capitola is just south of Santa Cruz, where this month's tsunami caused millions of dollars of damage to the harbor.

see article at link:
    http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2011/03/19/6300660-california-gets-respite-as-new-storm-approaches
    DearWife

PNW Mudslide Ranier  Empty Re: PNW Mudslide Ranier

Post  DearWife Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:29 am

Hi beejean. I see shifting of the house here. The pipes of the sewage lines are off also. I tell my husband but he wont listen to me :/ I had a dream of the front room of this house colapsing but not only did this house sink but all foundations and hills were made low. The only ones who made it were my son and I and with us standing by was my husbands eldest uncle...a firm believer in Jesus. He was warning about listening to preachers of money. But yea...we have some shifting going on. Only natural as cracks and creeks do run off from the Hayward fault. Houses not too far from here had landslide issues. Satellite images show the contours of the land and it would be only natural that the land go in such a way. Thanks for reporting. Other than that all is well on the home front this way. Smile
    beejean
    beejean

Post  beejean Sat 05 May 2012, 4:14 pm

Engineering Assessment of High Slide Risk in China published 4/18/2012
    China faces increased landslide risk

China three gorges dam project area faces high landslide risks due to water level variations.

May 4, 2012 SEATTLE, WA
    Mudslide closes tracks along the waterfront in downtown Seattle, closing the Everett Sounder train service through Sunday.
    Mudslide closes railroad tracks

May 3, 2012 YAKIMA, WA
    Crews open a section of State Route 410 closed due a slide.

Yakima WA Hwy reopening after 13 miles affected due to slide
    beejean
    beejean

PNW Mudslide Ranier  Empty BC Slide Deadly

Post  beejean Sun 15 Jul 2012, 1:53 pm

BC Slide Likely Deadly to Four believed Trapped
    Reported more fully by CBC News in Canada, British Columbia

After two days, the British Columbia hunt for survivors of a landslide, whose house was taken down the mountainside, continues actively. Lots of ground instability remains at the site. One of the four young adults who is missing had just finished a phone call when the fast moving slide engulfed the house and carried it off the foundation.

Photos of this huge slide are at the link below.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/07/13/bc-landslide-search-johnsons-landing.html
    beejean
    beejean

PNW Mudslide Ranier  Empty Alaskan Massive Landslide

Post  beejean Wed 08 Aug 2012, 2:24 am

Massive Alaskan Landslide July 2012
    ANCHORAGE

When the cliff collapsed in the national park in southeast Alaska on June 11, it sent rock and ice coursing down a valley and over a lovely white glacier in what perhaps was the largest landslide recorded in North America.

The rumbling was enough so that it showed up as a 3.4-magnitude earthquake in Alaska. The seismic event also was recorded in Canada. The massive landslide occurred in a remote valley beneath the 11,750-foot Lituya Mountain in the Fairweather Range about six miles from the border with British Columbia.

"I don't know of any that are bigger," Marten Geertsema, a research geomorphologist for the provincial Forest Service in British Columbia, said Thursday, when comparing the landslide to others in North America.

If someone had been standing in front of the slide, the air blast alone would have flattened that person, said Geertsema, who studies natural hazards resulting from geophysical processes on the earth's surface.

"I think they would be blown over by the air blast," he said.

Despite the extraordinary size of the landslide, which was estimated at a half-mile wide and 5 1/2 miles long, it went virtually unnoticed until air taxi pilot Drake Olson flew over it on July 2....
    "We are seeing an increase in rock slides in mountain areas throughout the world because of permafrost degradation," Geertsema said.

© 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This is excerpted from the Associted Press article.

Pleae look at the link:
    http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2012/07/12/12709334-massive-landslide-in-alaska-sweeps-over-glacier

AP Original Story- Alaska Glacier landslide
    beejean
    beejean

Post  beejean Mon 24 Dec 2012, 12:54 am

Another mudslide PNW - derailing Freight Train cars near Amtrak station

Service on the Everett WA Sounder branch was disrupted by a large mudslide this past week.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20121217/NEWS01/712179876/0/living02
    Heraldnet report of Everett WA mudslide
    beejean
    beejean

Post  beejean Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:50 pm

More on Landslides

Our changing planet... landslides becoming far more common.

A segment of Highway 29 over Mount St. Helena will be reduced to one lane through the end of September following a May 30 landslide, according to Caltrans. Crews are “removing the materials that flipped and constructing two retaining walls,” said Caltrans spokesman Adam Priest. Flagmen will stay on the scene to direct traffic through the affected area.

This is at St Helena in the Napa Valley, and was reported in Napa Valley News. June 7, 2013

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 8:52 pm