Boppin' Along

Forum for earth sensitives, world events, disasters, dreams, prophecies, visions, predictions.. everything and anything welcome here!

African Popes

DearWife

African Popes

Post  DearWife on Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:20 pm

"According to the Liber Pontificalis, three popes-Pope St Victor I (ca186-198), Pope St Miltiades (311-14), and Pope St Gelasius (492-496)-were Africans. The Liber Pontificalis is composed of a series of biographical entries, which record the dates and important facts for each pope. It is the oldest and most detailed chronicle dating from the Early Church. The Liber Pontificalis is dated from the sixth century. The record of names begins with St Peter. As the work progressed the entries became longer and more detailed. The Liber Pontificalis continued to be written until 1431.1"

http://www.nbccongress.org/black-catholics/african-popes.asp

I always wondered about Pope Benedict XVI's coat of arms after seeing it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oUBdmpHbEk

"The upper left-hand section of the shield depicts a brown-faced Moor with red lips, crown and collar; it is a symbol of the former Diocese of Freising dating back to the eighth century. Though it is not known why the Moor came to represent Freising, in Milestones, the pope said for him "it is an expression of the universality of the church which knows no distinctions of race or class since all are one in Christ."

http://www.uspapalvisit.org/coatofarms.htm

beejean

Re: African Popes

Post  beejean on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:00 am

Hi Dear Wife,

Thanks for finding this background on the possibility of the African Cardinal's selection during the next papal election.
    On Friday, with time in the afternoon, I picked up a copy of a speculative book about papal succession since 565 AD. It was a pdf format ebook for about $8 from John Hogue.
    John Hogue is very opinionated, but so are we all. He ended up speculating in the last chapter that the next pope might have the given name of Peter (which he would have to change in order to avoid stepping on the toes of the originator holder of the keys). There is an African Cardinal named Peter.

I think there is no moving van or Shipping Wars truck driver that could ever bring the Catholic worldview into even a suburb of the big Metropolitan worldview, without being accused of importing non-politically correct sedition. The big Metropolitan Worldview, in its pursuit of progress, does not see value in a life of humility, chastity and temperance. Only the graces of the gifts of the Holy Spirit could EVER heal those who would reject the intrinsic value of virtuous living. So to witness what shape an incoming Pope will choose to clothe his message of salvation in, that will be a revealing tenor of the most challenging times we have been experiencing in the last 5 years.
    DearWife

Post  DearWife on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 7:40 am

Hi beejean. Yes, there is Peter Turkson who is 64 years old and from Ghana. The name of the current Cardinal Secretary of State is Italian, named Tarcisio Pietro (Peter in English) Evasio Bertone. One commenter I read mentioned that the next pope wouldn't be from the USA, Africa, or Asia, but seems to favor Bertone (78). Bertone is also a bishop and holds three titles. The other bishop is Francis Arinze of Nigeria (80) and was elevated in 1985.

I read somewhere that the cardinal electors seem to favor older candidates close to the previous pope. The oldest on the same list is a priest from China (81) Joseph Zen Ze-kiun.

Others I read favor Marc Ouellet of Canada (68) but they said he is too nice. And other sources are saying that it would be to the best interest for the next pope to come from a developing country like Latin America.

"Cardinal bishops, given their seniority, may have had closer links to prior popes, especially the most recently deceased, which made them less attractive. [However, in the case of the current pope, Benedict XVI, it was indeed this close relationship with the prior pope that made him attractive to the cardinal electors.]"

http://popes-and-papacy.com/wordpress/cardinal-bishops-elected-pope-as-of-769/

Africa is going through a lot of the same things America went through back during the Salem Witch Trials. Albinos born in Africa are being killed because it is said they hold magical powers. And children are being accused as being witches. A lot of wickedness in Africa, as well as in other parts of the world, even developed countries like the US has its history of heinous crimes in the 21st century. Only God and Christ can stop all this mess, but we as God's children have to let our lights so shine before men. Just like in the beginning, when God said, let there be light. The darkness comprehended it not.

"In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God: and the word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by it, and without it, was made nothing that was made. In it was life, and the life was the light of men, and the light shineth in the darkness, but the darkness comprehended it not." John 1

That word being Jesus, our only mediator between God and man.

"I exhort therefore, that above all things, prayers, supplications, intercessions, and giving of thanks be had for all men: for kings, and for all that are in authority, that we may live a quiet and a peaceable life, in all Godliness and honesty. For that is good and accepted in the sight of God our saviour, which will have all men saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one (mediator) between God and man, which is the man Christ Jesus, which gave himself a ransom for all men, that it should be testified at his time, where unto I am ordained a preacher and an Apostle: I tell the truth in Christ and lie not being the teacher of the gentiles in faith and verity." Timothy 2

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 7:49 pm