Boppin' Along

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Boppin' Along

Forum for earth sensitives, world events, disasters, dreams, prophecies, visions, predictions.. everything and anything welcome here!

+6
Linda in N Carolina
Kate in AZ
Dona
Mary/Portland, OR
Polly, AZ
Joy in Hawai'i
10 posters

Hawai'i under Tsunami advisory

Joy in Hawai'i

Hawai'i under Tsunami advisory Empty Hawai'i under Tsunami advisory

Post  Joy in Hawai'i Sat 27 Feb 2010, 9:39 am

We're waiting for a buoy report due in at midnight, about half an hour from now. We're plenty safe where we are but Hilo is really at risk, historically at least. I'll stay up for the midnight bulletin but after that...

My son's grandfather died in Mississippi today, on Jack'sister's birthday, and he'll probably be going back for the funeral, except he has four friends coming in for the weekend the day after he leaves, and the amount of adrenaline I've gotten over the past week over all these arrangements exceeds my lifetime quota affraid Eeeeek! Sorry, back to reporting.....

The mag has varied from 8.3 to 8.8 even during the newscast. All emergency services are on standby awaiting the midnight report. I don't see any large loss of life incidents with this but property damage and social disruption are likely. I'll check back in as soon as I have more to report.

Peace and Starlight,
    Joy
    Polly, AZ
    Polly, AZ

Hawai'i under Tsunami advisory Empty Hi Joy !

Post  Polly, AZ Sat 27 Feb 2010, 9:52 am

Joy in Hawai'i wrote:We're waiting for a buoy report due in at midnight, about half an hour from now. We're plenty safe where we are but Hilo is really at risk, historically at least. I'll stay up for the midnight bulletin but after that...

My son's grandfather died in Mississippi today, on Jack'sister's birthday, and he'll probably be going back for the funeral, except he has four friends coming in for the weekend the day after he leaves, and the amount of adrenaline I've gotten over the past week over all these arrangements exceeds my lifetime quota affraid Eeeeek! Sorry, back to reporting.....

The mag has varied from 8.3 to 8.8 even during the newscast. All emergency services are on standby awaiting the midnight report. I don't see any large loss of life incidents with this but property damage and social disruption are likely. I'll check back in as soon as I have more to report.

Peace and Starlight,
    Joy

I was thinking of you today when I saw the 3.4 quake in Hawaii. Sorry to hear about your son's grandfather pass. You have had so much going on there recently, I am sure you are ready to run into the brush screaming. Lets hope the tsunami warning doesn't materalize for Hawaii. Are you still going Bubble Blowing this weekend? drunken
    Mary/Portland, OR
    Mary/Portland, OR

Hawai'i under Tsunami advisory Empty Re: Hawai'i under Tsunami advisory

Post  Mary/Portland, OR Sat 27 Feb 2010, 10:20 am

Joy in Hawai'i wrote:and the amount of adrenaline I've gotten over the past week over all these arrangements exceeds my lifetime quota affraid Eeeeek! Sorry, back to reporting.....

Dear Joy - here's a trick that works for decreasing adrenaline flow - simply make your outgoing breath longer than your incoming breath. don't force it, just let your outgoing breath be simply longer than the incoming one. it affects the nerve system that is in charge of "fight or flight" and it works as surely as the reflex action of a knee that is bumped by a doctor testing your reflexes.

Hope this helps.

I send prayers your way regardless. Take care!
    Joy in Hawai'i

Post  Joy in Hawai'i Sat 27 Feb 2010, 10:26 am

I went bubble-blowing last week-end and yesterday in Hilo! I've hardly slept in three days and I'm not feeling too coherent. Now we're awaiting a deep ocean buoy reading at 12:30 pm before we have some idea of the physics involved,per the PTWC, and therefore the wave height/intensity...hope I make it that long!

The tsunami warning center fellow was talking in terms of "if we're really lucky". That's not comforting. I eapparently have nothing to lose but folks below about fifty feet, and that's a lot of place including Hilo, may have problems. I'll wait for the next bulletin and then there won't be much to do but sleep and wait. They have no idea really where it may hit...

If it looks bad in the AM, I'll ask Jack to drive me down the hill to see if any of the neighbors on Laupahoehoe Point need help..... I love you

Peace and Starlight,
    joy
    Dona

Post  Dona Sat 27 Feb 2010, 10:32 am

oahu evac just in case. You can read your own buoy reports wave/buoy stations http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/
    I saw 45ft waves hours before NOLA and even in the Mississippi but NO Report was ever on the boob tube,just the report of a fifty ft wave after the fact. I posted it at old forum.
    so..I watch these things myself. I have seen already that Mexico wave lengths to south ca have changed,small but increasing already yet NO report yet. Have not checked H.,just use the link.
    Kate in AZ

Hawai'i under Tsunami advisory Empty Joy- what about Maui??????

Post  Kate in AZ Sat 27 Feb 2010, 11:02 am

my sister is at the condo now- my guess is that our unit sits about 20 feet above sea level.
    Linda in N Carolina
    Linda in N Carolina

Hawai'i under Tsunami advisory Empty JOY!!!

Post  Linda in N Carolina Sat 27 Feb 2010, 12:51 pm

I've just heard the latest for tsunamis... they will begin sounding the sirens at 6:00 AM your time, and even though the waves will approach from the south, they will evacuate the entire coastlines of the islands, as the waves can circle and hit the backside just as strongly. STAY SAFE, send your love out to all, as we are doing from afar. Love and blessings to you!

Linda
    Linda in N Carolina
    Linda in N Carolina

Hawai'i under Tsunami advisory Empty KATE!!

Post  Linda in N Carolina Sat 27 Feb 2010, 12:53 pm

BLessings for your sister, your condo... I'm sending soothing energy to all! I'm sure you haven't slept much, but know that we are with you in spirit. Take care, and keep us posted!
    Earth Watcher

Post  Earth Watcher Sat 27 Feb 2010, 1:51 pm

Tons of Hawaii Webcams - from this link: Webcams throughout the Pacific

http://sherriequestioningall.blogspot.com/2009/05/webcams-in-pacific-and-atlantic-for.html
    Michael
    Michael

Hawai'i under Tsunami advisory Empty 6am hawaii time

Post  Michael Sat 27 Feb 2010, 1:57 pm

Alarms to sound at 6am Hawaii time for a tsuanmi warning. My prayers go out to them.
    Bill Silver Eagle
    Bill Silver Eagle

Hawai'i under Tsunami advisory Empty CNN International: 15-20 ft Tsunami anticipated at Big Island

Post  Bill Silver Eagle Sat 27 Feb 2010, 5:14 pm

CNN International: 15-20 ft Tsunami anticipated at Big Island
    Sheila, Or.
    Sheila, Or.

Post  Sheila, Or. Sat 27 Feb 2010, 6:45 pm

Bill Silver Eagle wrote:CNN International: 15-20 ft Tsunami anticipated at Big Island

wow, hadn't hear that, so far what I just read is they expect about 8 ft tsunami but it must have changed quickly? Still, 8 ft is big enough to do damage. Here's what I just read:

The tsunami racing towards Hawaii right now, set off by the 8.8-magnitude earthquake near Chile's capital, appears poised to strike the city of Hilo first and hardest.

Current predictions by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) show waves of a little more than 8 feet headed for Hilo. The first wave is expected to strike at about 4:05 p.m. EST. The NOAA does stress on its website that these are only estimates.

This wouldn't mark the first time a series of massive waves have battered Hilo. On May 23, 1960, a tsunami triggered by an earthquake measuring more than 8.0 off the coast of Chile (sound familiar?) deluged Hilo with waves as high as 35 feet, destroying much of the city's downtown and killing 61 people.

The tsunami that struck Hilo on April 1, 1946 may have been even worse. A quake near the Aleutian Islands sent 30-foot waves that ravaged the city. Approximately 159 people were killed in Hawaii, many of them in Hilo.

The good news? The waves in 1946 and 1960 were considerably higher than what's expected today. Additionally, the loss of life was in part attributed to a lack of a warning system in 1946, and a failure of residents to heed the warnings in 1960. In contrast, the Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports Hilo closed its airport as of 11 a.m. EST, and the state Department of Transportation mobilized vessels and crew this morning to clear the harbor areas. So, hopefully Hilo is prepared to avoid as much damage as possible.

You can track the path of the tsunami on the NOAA website here.
    http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/2010/02/_the_tsunami_ra.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 12:18 am